Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chichen Itza Ruins: One of the “Seven Wonders of the World”




This sight is one of the “Seven Wonders of the World” that I can now cross off my bucket list. It cost M$204 and parking was M$22. It took me about three hours to see it all and take the photos I wanted. I went early, first in. I almost had the place to myself, but within two hours it was full of tourist and local vendors selling their crafts: this changed the feel of the place so more photos needed to be taken. 




Only about 30 building have been fully restored and to keep them looking good there is no climbing on any of them. So the walk around is an easy one that allows for wheel chairs and strollers. Many of the sights I have visited are not as accommodating. 

The Mayan people have displayed a talent for building temples and





ceremonial centers, developed an astronomical calendar, predicted solar and lunar eclipses, mathematical concept of zero, and produced the refined hieroglyphic writing system. There are many other accomplishments as artists, historians and road builders. The earliest Mayan settlements date back to around 1800BC. They were and still are an amazing people…

No comments:

Post a Comment