Friday, July 5, 2013

Bienvenido El Salvador


I made it through the border without any major problems. It cost me $10US for one month car insurance and $5US for road toll! 13Q for copies of all the paper work I needed. I did opt to use help from a local in the CA 2 (Pacific Hwy) town of La Hachadu Ra; his name is Jorge and/or Koky and phone number is 7295-0413. I recommend him. He has a friend at El Amatillo El Salvador/Honduras border his name is Rony and the number is 7579-2682. I Just might give him a call at that end.

The exchange rate from Guatemalan to El Salvadoran money is just about one to one or 12 USD to 100Q or Colon according to the online money exchange site. But as it turns out El Salvador uses US dollars exclusively, so I will not be able to have any souvenir money from El Salvador.  


I camped overnight in the National Park El Imposible. It is extremely rustic and beautiful. I pitched my tent on an elevated spot next to a small running creek with several waterfalls. The water is cold and refreshing and with no one else around I was able to take a modified cool down dip. Boy it was needed with the temperature, humidity and driving around in the car I was overdue for a cool down. Camping for people over 60 is free, but I did have to pay $1US to park my little trailer by the ranger station. I am glad that I have the low 4 wheel drive in my 4Runner. It came in handy, driving the road up here and with the clay dirt once it is wet is extremely slippery. I am glad I was not pulling my trailer since I got stuck several times in and around the rainforest.



My night there was just me, the trees, bamboo, ferns, birds, crickets, babbling, gurgling water in the creek; no cars, no people, just heaven. The next morning, I did a walk about through the rainforest. 

To my surprise I found a rainforest crab he was so cute and totally unexpected. The forest was extremely lush with many different ferns, bamboo, trees, and some plants that I have seen for sale back home. It was an immensely enjoyable side trip.


Back on CA 2 or also called the Pacific Hwy heading south toward the city of San Salvador. On the internet, I found some possible places to camp. One was Hotel Playa El Palmarcito, (https://www.facebook.com/Shelter.SurfLodge) at the 50 km mark $5UD for tent per night if you use the electricity and $8-12US for a basic room. I have a shower, flush toilet, hammocks, coconut trees, mango trees, chickens, and an exceptionally enjoyable family that runs this little place that is just about 50 yards from the beach. It was a little hard finding it as I drove south, but when I turned around to back-track it was well signed. But to give you a better idea it is about 30 minutes north of the airport and the only right turn just before the first bridge after the restaurants on the cliffs edge at the 51km mark.


 
You can contact Ernie Solorzano at winesurferernie@gmail.com or call him at 7965-7095 the locals call this place El Palmarcito Hostal.
 





A family arrived here on Friday, traveling by bus, a husband, wife and their 14 month old little girl. They are planning on staying for a few days, then off heading south. They have been to Mexico, Guatemalan, Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rico, and are now returning home to Ecuador which is on my list of places to visit once I cross into South America. Now I have another family to visit when I get there.








 













I had dinner on the beach at the Donde Tiola where the food was excellent. I had Camaron Al Ajo (shrimp in garlic sauce, rice and salad) for $7US and a large very cold beer that was $2US. It is a family run restaurant, Tiola (Carlos Abarca), his wife the chef Elsy and their two children. Check out their website at https://www.facebook.com





/DondeTiola. The environment, people and the beach are outstanding as a bonus for those of you that are brave; there is even a nude beach just around the point to the south.








Surfing Lessons

My first time surfing was fantastic, I do not think anyone has to worry about me being a surfing queen this week at any rate. I had an hour lesson but quit after only one half. It is a lot harder than you might think. It reminded me of the first time I went snow skiing; the first day out I did nothing but fall down and today was not any different. I think I swallowed half the ocean and got at least two pounds of sand in my swimsuit. But guess what I made an appointment to do it all over again. I thought that you need waves to learn to surf, but for the first few times out; I now think it is better to have baby waves.
My instructor was Tiola the owner of Donde Tiola Restaurant on the beach and an artist here at Playa El Palmarcito, El Salvador (https://www.facebook.com/DondeTiola).



 



No comments:

Post a Comment