Sunday, July 29, 2012

Catalina State Park North of Tucson AZ



I’m camping out here for a few days. I wanted to get some photos of the local cactus (Barrel, Chain Fruit, Prickly Pear and Saguaro) and some more sunsets and rises. I have also got some photos of lizards (Greater Earless and Desert Grassland Whiptail) and spiders they are all over here. I even saw a roadrunner but he was too fast for a photo this time.

I have been on several of the hiking trails around the park but I only go first thing in the morning, the afternoon is too hot for me just yet. Besides I still in favor the afternoon siesta. Trails run anywhere from ¾ mile loop to 10.8 miles one way and this has a gain of 5,600 feet, I’m not ready for that just yet.  


It is monsoon season here now so the rain comes in fast and with a fury but with plenty of warning, load thunder and many time lighting. That leads to gully washes and the road are impassable for a day or two. I have just seen a few minor ones so far.


When I leave here I’m going to Nogales, just south of Tucson it’s on the border of Arizona and Mexico. I’ll be checking to see just how safe and which route is the best for me to take as I venture down into Mexico. Money is a very tight after getting my car fixed but if I’m very careful I should be OK. I want to go straight south from Nogales I’ll be at the ocean in 260 miles, about two or three days I figure. I plan to only drive in the morning and take my time. After all I’m retired.


I will no longer have a cell phone as of 8/1/12. But I will keep it just in case. Now if anyone wants to communicate with me it is through e-mail, Facebook, Skype, my blog or website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment