Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cargo Boat Trip into the Amazon – Iquitos, Peru



The Amazon River is the largest in the world; it flows down from the Andes to the Atlantic Ocean. It is 50 to 60 meters deep. People throw everything into the river, organics are one thing, but plastics are another. So it can look like a floating trash pile.



 

I boarded the cargo ship on Saturday, the 1st in the afternoon, with the intent to go back to Pucallpa that night, then take the bus back to Lima. Now it is Monday and we have not left port yet. I am hoping it will be today. But on the side benefit, I have gotten an extra two nights lodging free.  Now I understand why “Lonely Planet 2010” says the trip takes 4 to 7 days. Do be sure to plan ahead or build in flexibility into your schedule. 





Keep in mind that when you see the livestock being loading your about to sail…especially the chickens, they are your lunch and dinner for the next several days. 

Several people left the boat today (Monday) to go to the market and spend time in the city and have not returned as yet. The captain has moved the boat up river; I am glad I returned when I did. I would not like to be one of those that came back and found the boat missing and with all my stuff on board, passport, and clothes, scary… 






This boat trip, back to Pucallpa, only cost 70 soles. My trip to Iquitos cost 100 soles, it took 4 days. The trip back to Pucallpa took 7 days. When riding the cargo ships I do recommend that the backpackers use their rain shield on the bottom side of their backpacks to keep the pack clean. The stuff that gets spilled, kids peeing, throwing up, and other things, it is just easier. 

Now as my second boat ride in the Amazon come to an end; I look back and I am glad I did it. It was a once in a life time trip, but I do not think that I will do it again. But I also said the same thing while in labor with my first child; as it turns out I repeated that experience two more times. So only time will tell…

1 comment:

  1. With over fifty million tourists visiting Spain each year, this popular West European country must have something special which attracts the visitor. What exactly is it...?

    The main beauty of this lovely land can be summed up in just one word - variety - and, as you all well know, variety is the spice of life!
    See more at-tours iquitos

    ReplyDelete